Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rottnest Island and a busy week

Joe and I made it outside after a long rainy 5 days off in Perth on July 1.  I am going to try and post the pictures once I finish writing or see (http://picasaweb.google.com/eckraft/RottnestIslandJuly108 )
.  I meant to post them once I got to work last 9 days in, but I had no time.  Amazing to see that I have advanced from my thumb twiddling to running around with no time to twiddle thumbs.  Our first day back Joe and I both stayed up at the Northern site  as he had some kind of safety leadership training and I had to catch up with the other environmental so we could do a handoff before he left.  Thursday we headed south to Koolyanobbing, where I sat down for my first time to look at email, I didn't have the time to double click on one and I was out the door.  

Apparently you can't bury fuel lines in an area which has saltwater in the ground.  Something about corrosion.  Seriously people what were you thinking?  So, a project that we all thought would be a minor hole from removing an old fuel yard is now a new mine site, due to leaking fuel lines from ?? years ago.  They are calling it the Greenie Pit.  Yup, thats me, the greenie and well it is now a hole that has to be about 5 meters, thats 15 feet!  Yeah, not to mention whatever they were going to do with that area they wanted it done yesterday, so I have been getting the hairy eyeball.  I am not a popular person around the mine, for the reason I have to tell them that something is going to take longer than expected.  It seems as though each time I turn up at the mining office it is assumed that I am going to be delivering bad news.  So, I am working on a better rap for the greenies.  

Joe was really busy last swing as well.  I really didn't see much of him.  He was putting in some long hours, but I know the people there are pretty impressed with his dedication and his work.  Dedication, that is something you don't see much of here.  If its 5:30, everyone knocks off for the night regardless if something needs to be finished or not.  

Well, I hope everyone is doing well.  Joe will be in Perth for this swing as he has training, I will get the donga all to myself at site, how exciting:)   Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: